The City Theater building was erected on the Swidnicka Street between 1839 and 1841, designed by Carl Ferdinand Langhans, with a modern stage and audience of around 1,600 seats. After the fire (in 1865 and 1871), the building was rebuilt to increase the audience and the supper, the painting pavilion was added, the porch was enlarged and the exterior painted with paintings. The reconstruction of 1865 was directed by Karl Lüdecke, and from 1871 to 1872 Karl Schmidt. In 1871, sculptures made of artificial sandstone were also erected on the edge of the roof (now there are castings from missing originals made at the beginning of the 21st century). After 1945, musk figurines were destroyed, and for political reasons the busts of German artists Beethoven, Goethe, Mozart and Schiller were removed from the façade and the effect of Schmidt’s frescoes on the outside wall. In 1954-1956 the southern part of the building was expanded. Thorough modernization started in 1997 and ended in 2006.
In the richly decorated interior, most of the 19th-century paintings have survived, including plafonds with portraits of composers, main chandelier (converted from gas to electric) and imperial box. Total gold plated real gold is 10 thousand m² and surface of crystal mirrors 200 m². More info and repertoire: www.opera.wroclaw.pl
address: Świdnicka 35
fot. Marek Grotowski, Wroclaw Opera